Elder Patriot – President Trump is doing everything in his power to bring this standoff to an end.
The president said he’s based his funding request (demands?) on input from border police and DHS – those people he considers to be experts on what’s needed to do their jobs correctly.
Trump asked for:
- $800 million to be used for humanitarian aid
- $805 million in drug detection technology
- 2750 new border patrol agents
- 75 new immigration judge teams to address the backlog of asylum requests
- Additional measures to protect unaccompanied migrant children including allowing them to apply for asylum in their home countries prior to setting out on the dangerous journey
- 5.7 billion for barriers in areas where it’s most needed.
In return President Trump offered Democrats:
- A 3 year extension for 700,000 DACA designees.
- A 3 year extension for 300,000 migrants whose temporary protected status (TPS) is expiring soon.
The president said that Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell will bring this to a vote this week.
The president did not address the issues surrounding 800,000 furloughed federal workers as he had indicated he would.
“If we are successful in this effort, we will have the best chance in a longtime at bipartisan immigration reform, and it won’t stop here, it will keep going until we do it all.” – President Trump,
Democrats dismissed the president’s offer before he even spelled it out. I wonder how their response will be received by DACA sympathizers?