ELDER PATRIOT – Thomas Jefferson was among our greatest Founding Fathers. He authored the Declaration of Independence, contributed to the crafting of our Constitution and served as our third president from 1801-1809. Along with James Madison Jefferson is considered our greatest political philosopher.
Jefferson, along with John Adams who preceded him as president, were our last surviving Founder Fathers both passing on the same day, July 4, 1826, fifty years to the day of the American Revolution. Yes, Providence has always played a role in America’s history.
What follows is Jefferson speaking to you in his own words about today’s election.
- “A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have.
- When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe.
- The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
- It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world.
- “I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
- “My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.”
- “No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.”
- “To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”
- “I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.” [The Federal Reserve Bank (The FED) is a private bank.]
Jefferson sounded the following warning based solely on his observations and study of history but it is most prescient for the mess we find ourselves in today.
- “Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence.”
- “Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.”
One candidate has taken on the corrupt political establishment now lording over us and led by the other candidate. Which candidate best fit Jefferson’s character test? Read on:
- “Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man (woman) with the wrong mental attitude.”
And, finally if all else fails:
- “The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.”
- “The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.”
America fought a war to be free in 1776. Now, 240 years later, you can vote to restore freedom or you can vote to extinguish the flame of liberty.
“This is the issue of this election: whether we believe in our capacity for self-government or whether we abandon the American revolution and confess that a little intellectual elite in a far-distant capitol can plan our lives for us better than we can plan them ourselves.” – Ronald Reagan
The choice is yours. Remember, future generations are counting on your at this moment.