President Trump gave Democrat governors and Democrat mayors an opportunity to stamp out the violence and arson that has spread through their cities over the past week.
Do not be deluded, the anguish over the murder of George Floyd, has been appropriated by left wing Marxists. We are witnessing an insurrection by anti-capitalist anarchists – Black Lives Matters and Antifa.
After six nights of almost unfathomable destruction and physical harm, President Trump has invoked the centuries old Insurrection Act.
10 U.S. Code CHAPTER 15—MILITARY SUPPORT FOR CIVILIAN LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES
- § 271. Use of information collected during military operations
- § 272. Use of military equipment and facilities
- § 273. Training and advising civilian law enforcement officials
- § 274. Maintenance and operation of equipment
- § 275. Restriction on direct participation by military personnel
- § 276. Support not to affect adversely military preparedness
- § 277. Reimbursement
- § 278. Nonpreemption of other law
- § 279. Assignment of Coast Guard personnel to naval vessels for law enforcement purposes
- § 280. Enhancement of cooperation with civilian law enforcement officials
- § 281. Procurement of equipment by State and local governments through the Department of Defense: equipment for counter-drug, homeland security, and emergency response activities
- § 282. Emergency situations involving weapons of mass destruction
- § 283. Situations involving bombings of places of public use, Government facilities, public transportation systems, and infrastructure facilities
- § 284. Support for counterdrug activities and activities to counter transnational organized crime
By mobilizing the Insurrection Act of 1807, the president can deploy troops anywhere across the nation. Trump can now order the US military to do the work that local law enforcement wouldn’t or couldn’t do because of deliberately feckless leadership.
— The White House (@WhiteHouse) June 1, 2020
In making the announcement Trump said:
“We cannot allow the righteous cries of peaceful protesters to be drowned out by an angry mob.
“I am mobilizing all available federal resources, civilian and military, to stop rioting and looting, to end the destruction.”
“If a city or state refuses to take the actions that are necessary to defend the life and property of their residents, then I will deploy the United States military and quickly solve the problem for them.”
“I am taking these actions today to reaffirm resolve and with a true and passionate love for our country, by far our great days lie ahead.”