VIA| Did you know Wright Patterson Air Force Base in Ohio, one of our nation’s largest military installations, had a security breach this week? This very disturbing incident caused hardly a ripple in the national news scene, which is pretty scary considering we are only days away from ISIS attacks in Paris and their threats to attack America, only months away from an attack on our military recruiter offices in Tennessee and just a few years away from traitor Nidal Hassan’s attack on military personnel at Fort Hood, Texas.

Amazingly, even though the FBI is currently investigating NINE HUNDRED active cases of home grown terrorists — which include every single state of the union — almost no attention at all was given to the security breach at Wright Patterson which began about 09:40 Tuesday morning. If it weren’t for a local news station –WHIO – this incident may have gone completely unreported.

“Authorities have released a suspect who got onto Wright-Patterson Air Force Base without authorization Tuesday morning after driving by a gate guard and walking into Building 620, according to a spokesman. The man, whose name has not been disclosed, was released Tuesday pending a hearing in federal court, Wright-Patterson spokesman Daryl Mayer said Wednesday. Investigators may take up to a week or more to determine what happened and why and to decide if the suspect should be charged, Mayer said. Wright-Patterson has not released the man’s name nor his age or area of residence, and only said he was not authorized access to the base.“I can’t give any identifying information unless and until he is charged,” Mayer said.

Questions lingered over how the suspect got beyond Gate 22B near Interstate 675 and then gained entry on foot into Building 620 in the Air Force Research Laboratory’s Sensor’s Directorate.

Members of the FBI’s Joint Terrorism Task Force responded to the incident at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, according to Rick Smith, supervisory special agent. Smith could not provide details as to if terrorism is being looked at as a motive and deferred comment on that part of the investigation to base officials. Smith said it is standard protocol for the task force to respond to an incident like this. Base officials have previously said they will not speculate on the suspect’s motives until the investigation is complete.”

Folks, this is bad news — really bad news. Not only did an unauthorized male driver skate by post security but this individual actually made it INSIDE buildings on the base before being found and captured. But it doesn’t stop here.

According to a source who was in the area at the time — and contacted us on condition of anonymity — other even more disturbing events unfolded (or maybe I should say didn’t unfold).

Recently enhanced security features at the gate were not deployed. The Force Protection Condition, a set of protocols used by the military to respond to security conditions on military bases (FPCON – as it is referred to) was left at Alpha, the lowest level of alert, all day despite the intrusion by unauthorized personnel. The base wide alert system was NOT used to notify base employees when the breach occurred, in fact, some employees didn’t know about the event until notified by email AFTER the event was over about 1 pm that afternoon. If true, it appears this was a rather colossal failure of the system that is supposed to protect our troops and their families who live on that base.

Further investigation revealed that the male subject, whose name the authorities refuse to release, has now been sent on his way, pending an investigation which may last a week or so. Here is why I find this so extremely disturbing.

During my career in law enforcement I had the opportunity to attend two training seminars on terrorism. We were given a crash course in terrorism-information we could take back to our communities that would help us recognize possible terrorist threats on a local level. Part of that training focused on tactics used by groups like al-Qaeda (and ISIS) in their efforts to plan and carry out terrorist attacks. One such tactic – incursions into an area to determine what police responses would be to certain types of activity. In other words, conducting a dry run for a terrorist attack on a later date. These incursions often included filming the responses of citizens and emergency personnel and/or having scouts observing the area to learn about the responses to their activity. Do you understand why I’m bothered now?

Back in April 2015, LTC (Ret) West wrote about his concerns for the safety of military personnel on Army bases he visited. Unfortunately, it appears we may still have a major problem with security on our military basses.