ELDER PATRIOT – It’s looking more and more like Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and Speaker of the House Paul Ryan are going to do nothing to prevent President Obama from unilaterally turning over control of the Internet to foreign powers a week from today.
This means that the United States, once the bastion of free speech in a world populated with tyrants, will allow nations like China and Russia and Saudi Arabia to decide what you can and can’t see when you surf the web. These countries are notorious for their suppression and criminalization of political opponents.
Why is Barack Obama doing this?
By now it should be apparent to everyone but the most sycophantic of his supporters that President Obama has done everything he can to weaken the United States.
- His foreign policy has every corner of the world less stable than when he took office.
- His economic policy has left the average American household earning almost 10% less in real dollars while he will have burdened every taxpayer (and their progeny) with an added $118,000 in debt as a result of his profligate spending.
- His immigration policy has made us less safe in our communities and less certain of our future employment.
- Free speech is being curtailed by the recognition of “micro aggressions” as a violation of the imagined right of others not to be offended. As this idiocy takes root among our youth he will have overseen the loss of a generation of what should have been strong-minded independent critical thinkers necessary to take their place in leading America into the future.
- America is on the verge of erupting with race riots. Not just in our black communities but in sanctuary cities where illegal immigrants have settled in large numbers.
- White Americans, especially white males have been marginalized, even demonized by Obama and those in his administration even though they have been mostly responsible for building the wealth that he has plundered.
Actually, this list is only a partial list of Obama’s assault on our country’s institutions and Constitutional rights. In fact, it would be difficult to name anything he’s done to advance American unity or the interests of her citizens at home or abroad.
The mainstream media has turned a blind eye Obama’s assault on our civil society by either ignoring his transgressions and failures or alibiing for them.
This used to pass for comedy on the popular 1960’s TV show Hogan’s Heroes when Sergeant Schultz drew a laugh in every episode by avoiding controversy with this refrain, “I see nothing, I hear nothing, I know nothing.”
What might’ve been funny as a line in a sitcom is anything but funny when it is the policy of the mainstream media whose right – and responsibility – to report is sacrosanct under our Constitution.
The Founding Fathers didn’t make freedom of the press the cornerstone of the First Amendment so that those in power could control the political narrative. The Founders were specifically intent on protecting the rights of political dissenters. They trusted that only a fully informed electorate could make the choice of correct leadership.
James Madison, the author of our Constitution wrote:
“Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both”
Hillary Clinton has not uttered a single apprehensive word regarding Obama’s Internet turnover. She did, however, have a lot to say about the need to protect her free speech when her party wasn’t in control of the reigns of power:
In true Alinsky fashion, Mrs. Clinton has isolated what she labeled the Alt-right media with the intention of shutting it down. The Alt-right is that pesky growing group of websites that have exposed her unlawful, corrupt and treasonous behavior when the Clinton-controlled mainstream media saw, heard and said nothing. In particular a recent Clinton fundraising letter targeted Breitbart News when she wrote that, “they do not have a right to exist.”
It seems Mrs. Clinton has a problem with Breitbart Senior Editor Peter Schweizer for exposing the unseemly, if not wholly illegal, ties between the Clinton Foundation and her granting of favors while she held the position of Secretary of State.
As chief of Nazi propaganda Joseph Goebbels infamously said, “…the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”
Of the four candidates for president only Donald Trump has vowed to protect our access to the Internet and the content we see free and open by keeping control of the Internet in the hands of the U.S. He has no fear of the broadest swath of Americans having the tools necessary to inform themselves so that they may make intelligent choices about the policies and leaders that want from our government.
Why has Libertarian in name only (Libino) Gary Johnson said nothing?
Already, Facebook, Google, and YouTube have begun limiting search results and access to websites and videos that challenge, or whose content support those challenging, the official narratives of Barack Obama and Madame Hillary.
Next Saturday, if the do-nothing Republican Congress doesn’t act to stop the Internet turnover, our First Amendment protections will become more rhetorical than any serious political protection for the citizens of our nation..