Elder Patriot – In retrospect this was probably inevitable. For many decades Democrats and Republicans did the dance of cordial opposition always finding it ‘impossible’ to come to agreement on issues of importance to the American people.
This hasn’t been by accident.
The Senate’s self-imposed cloture rule makes it necessary to secure 60 votes just to bring a bill to the floor of the Senate, where it then needs only a simple majority vote for passage, is an abomination put in place for a very simple reason – to protect the members from suffering the political fallout of their votes.
Article I Section 3 of the U.S. Constitution:
“The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two senators from each state, elected by the people thereof…and each senator shall have one vote……”
Under the 60 vote rule, the votes of 41 Senators rules over the votes of 59 colleagues. This is not Democracy. Not when a simple majority is needed to actually pass the bill once it does get to the floor for a vote.
It’s more an incumbent protection strategy to obscure the votes of corrupt senators who have sold their votes to moneyed interests, than it is intended to streamline the legislative process (quite the opposite).
Oft times senators aren’t held accountable for their votes at all because party leadership simply declares the “votes aren’t there.”
This has allowed for the growth of the UniParty where senators get fat going along to get along and the people who elected them be damned.
So it is with the Senate’s intransigence when it comes to illegal immigration. The system is clearly broken and has been for half a century.
No Senator can say with a hint of truth that unfettered illegal immigration benefits hardworking, taxpaying, Americans.
- They cost money, and lots of it.
- And, they commit crimes, often heinous crimes.
- They take low-skilled jobs, driving down the wages of the most needy Americans.
- They drive up the cost of housing simply because that’s the way supply and demand works.
And, the failure to secure the border also makes it infinitely easier for opioids, fentanyl, human traffickers, gangs, and terrorists to pass into our country.
Remember, we’re talking about illegal immigration. Politicians conflate illegal with legal immigration because they purposely don’t want to fix the problem.
Then along comes Donald Trump and his hostile takeover of the Republican Party. Trump is a deal-maker and a problem solver. Both require everyone involved in negotiations to be held accountable.
Accountability is threat to those politicians who do not want to be forced to publicly defend their ideological fealty to one side, or the other. If politicians were forced to declare themselves, logic would inform voters that the left-right paradigm is an artificial construct used solely to defend the indefensible.
From this perspective, the UniParty (and the 60-vote rule) was constructed to represent the interests of multinational corporations and international bankers by making change – real change – darned near impossible.
This explains why Democrat Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Majority House Democrat Leader Steny Hoyer, Democrat Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer and Democrat Senator Dick Durbin refused to attend the DHS briefing that Trump arranged for them.
The crisis is not going away-it is getting worse. The status quo in funding & authorities for #DHS is irresponsible & makes our country less secure. Kicking the can down the road is not the answer. I look forward to engaging w Members who want to listen & be part of the solution.
— Sec. Kirstjen Nielsen (@SecNielsen) January 3, 2019
What possible excuse could they have other than they already know the carnage they are permitting and they find it uncomfortable to hear national security information that is adverse to their purchased political interests? Accountability!
This includes as many as 15 Republicans, as well, BTW. (go deep)
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has had a career-long alliance with U.S. Chamber of Commerce president Tom Donohue who represents the interests of Wall Street and the multinational corporations and international bankers who comprise it.
Donohue does not want an to end illegal immigration.
On this front, and others, McConnell has been working against the efforts of President Donald Trump.
The effort is to support his primary Wall Street financial benefactor, Donohue. However, Mitch McConnell cannot directly be connected to underhanded efforts against President Trump because it would lead to: (A) questions about a confrontation; and (B) public exposure. [ex. think about how McConnell is blocking President Trump from recess appointments.]
Trump, the pragmatist knows that McConnell, as well as the rest of the Republican Decepticon Senators Cornyn, Thune, Porter, Blunt, Portman, Burr, Barrasso, Crapo, Murkowski, Gardner, Roberts, Sasse, Tillis, Graham and now Romney cannot be counted on to support building the wall – unless they are forced to show their hands.
That won’t happen without at least some Democrats crossing over to support funding the wall making it necessary to actually count the votes – Accountability!
To that end, President Trump has sent a letter to the entire Congress along with the full Border Security Briefing outline to bring pressure on leadership:
As the enclosed presentation makes clear, current funding levels, resources, and authorities are woefully inadequate to meet the scope of the problem. We are no longer in a status quo situation at the Southern Border but in a crisis situation. Status quo funding is not enough.
- In fiscal year (FY) 2018, 17,000 adults at the border with existing criminal records were arrested by Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and border agents.
- In FY2017 and FY2018, ICE officers arrested approximately 235,000 aliens on various criminal charges or convictions within the interior of the United States—including roughly 100,000 for assault, 30,000 for sex crimes, and 4,000 for homicides.
- We are now averaging 60,000 illegal and inadmissible aliens a month on our Southern Border.
- Last month alone, more than 20,000 minors were smuggled into the United States.
- The immigration court backlog is nearly 800,000 cases.
- There has been a 2,000 percent increase in asylum claims over the last five years, with the largest growth coming from Central America—while around 9 in 10 claims from Central American migrants are ultimately rejected by the immigration courts, the applicant has long since been released into the interior of the United States.
- In FY2017, roughly 135,000 illegal and inadmissible family units arrived from Central America. Of those, less than 2 percent have been successfully removed from the country due to a shortage of resources and glaring loopholes in our federal laws.
- So far in FY2019, we have seen a 280 percent increase in family units from FY2018.
- 300 Americans are killed every week from heroin—90 percent of which floods across our Southern Border.
- Illegal immigration is a humanitarian crisis: 1 in 3 migrant women is sexually assaulted on the journey northward to the U.S. border; 50 illegal migrants a day are referred for emergency medical care; and CBP rescues 4,300 people a year who are in danger and distress.
Border Security Briefing by on Scribd
That brings us full circle to Speaker Pelosi and the strategy to impeach President Trump in order to inflict maximum political damage on him and to stop him from implementing the long-overdue fix needed along our southern border.
Pelosi’s consolidation of power would appear to be an act of desperation by a party deathly afraid of being outed for previous criminal activity.
Pelosi has constructed a timeline and committee authorizations seemingly to coordinate with special counsel Robert Mueller to pound their anti-Trump narrative into the public consciousness.
She has also greatly expanded the authority of the new House Counsel, Douglas Letter, into a mini-DOJ by using the pretense of defending Obamacare. This new, unaccountable legal unit, can receive unlimited taxpayer funding.
A smart, albeit Machiavellian construct that will come back to bite her, and her party, in the ass if Trump survives in 2020 and Republicans retake the House with unspoiled and not-yet-purchased fresh blood.
Take the long view. This war will not be won overnight.